Greetings, I am Gary Shapiro, co-founder and current Chair of Statistics Without Borders (SWB). Recently, we started collaborating with the American Evaluation Association. This week aea365 will feature knowledge and resources from SWB members appropriate for professional evaluators.
- What is SWB? SWB is an all-volunteer outreach group of the American Statistical Association. The group was formed in 2008 to provide pro bono statistical support to organizations, particularly from developing countries. Although the group started out small, it has quickly grown to involve over 500 volunteer statisticians around the world who provide pro bono consultancy activities.
- Who can volunteer? SWB warmly welcomes volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds. We have members who are highly experienced statisticians, members who are new to the field of statistics but would like to work under the supervision of an experienced statistician, and members from other non-statistical disciplines (including the evaluation of community aid programs and data management).
- How does one volunteer? Volunteering is simple, sign up online.
- SWB projects – no job is too large or small. SWB has a broad scope of projects. SWB’s projects are the core of our mission. Through these projects we help international health workers and others in resource-limited settings who do not have statistical training by partnering them with professional and student statisticians. Some examples of projects include the design and analysis of epidemiological studies, the review of grant proposals for funding agencies in international health (health considered very broadly), and on-site training for current health projects or for the development of local staff. The scope of our work is diverse, ranging from survey design to analysis to efforts to provide statistical software for developing nations.
- Get help with a project. Do you know a group with limited resources? SWB is always looking to expand our list of collaborators and projects. If you are working in absolutely any field and would benefit from working with an expert group of statisticians, then we would love to hear from you. If you have any ideas for projects that fall within the general scope of statistics we would love to talk further with you. The SWB webpage provides the means to request assistance.
- SWB on Facebook
- SWB on Twitter
- SWB on LinkedIn
The American Evaluation Association is celebrating Statistics Without Borders Week. The contributions all week come from SWB members. Do you have questions, concerns, kudos, or content to extend this aea365 contribution? Please add them in the comments section for this post on the aea365 webpage so that we may enrich our community of practice. Would you like to submit an aea365 Tip? Please send a note of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. aea365 is sponsored by the American Evaluation Association and provides a Tip-a-Day by and for evaluator.
1 thought on “SWB Week: Gary Shapiro on Volunteering for Statistics Without Borders”
Pingback: Statistics without Borders | actionable data