Hello! We are Phung Pham, doctoral student at Claremont Graduate University, and Jordan Freeman, new alumna of The George Washington University. As novices of evaluation and research in the contexts of disasters and emergencies, we would like to share what we have found helpful in getting acquainted with disaster and emergency management evaluation and research.
- Brief overview of the disaster and emergency management cycle, which includes mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
- Issue 126 of Volume 2010 in New Directions for Evaluation is a collection of chapters illustrating evaluation, research, policy, and practices in disaster and emergency management.
- World Association for Disaster and Emergency Medicine (WADEM) offers frameworks for disaster research and evaluation.
- United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) has a database of evaluation reports, including ones focused on emergencies.
- Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance (ALNAP) is a global network of organizations dedicated to improving the knowledge and use of evidence in humanitarian responses, and has an extensive library of resources.
Get Involved! Here are some trainings and events for your consideration:
- EvalPartners – Introduction to Evaluating Humanitarian Action (e-learning course)
- ALNAP – Upcoming Events
- Evidence Aid – Humanitarian Evidence Week (November 2018; many events will be streamed online)
We hope these resources are helpful to those of you who are new to or curious about evaluation and research in the contexts of disasters and emergencies. There is a lot to learn and great work to be continued!
The American Evaluation Association is celebrating Disaster and Emergency Management Evaluation (DEME) Topical Interest Group (TIG) Week. The contributions all this week to aea365 come from our DEME TIG members. Do you have questions, concerns, kudos, or content to extend this aea365 contribution? Please add them in the comments section for this post on the aea365 webpage so that we may enrich our community of practice. Would you like to submit an aea365 Tip? Please send a note of interest to email@example.com. aea365 is sponsored by the American Evaluation Association and provides a Tip-a-Day by and for evaluators.