Cultural Competence Week: Karen Anderson on Evaluation 2012 Sessions – Culture Scan
Hello, my name is Karen Anderson and I’m AEA’s Diversity Coordinator Intern. I’m sure you’ve noticed from previous posts during the Cultural Competence Statement week that the AEA Public Statement on Cultural Competence in Evaluation Dissemination Working Group was pretty busy during the 2012 Annual Conference this year in Minneapolis.
Not only was the Working Group hard at work cultivating and encouraging meaningful dialogue about the AEA Statement on Cultural Competence In Evaluation during their sessions, but many AEA members also incorporated culture into their sessions as well.
Rad Resource: The search tool for the 2012 Annual Conference program was helpful pre-conference, during the conference, and even today. By typing in the keywords below I was able to find 75 sessions* related to culture in evaluation.
- Cultural Competence
- Cultural Competence in Evaluation
- Cultural Competence Statement
- Cultural Competency
- Statement on Cultural Competence
- The Statement
*These sessions included a scan of roundtables, brown bag idea exchanges, business meetings, demonstrations, expert lectures, ignite sessions, multipaper sessions, panels, skill building workshops, and think tanks with topics of discussion using the keywords above. Two posters also covered culture in evaluation, however, the poster presentations count as one session.
Hot Tip to Improve Your Search Strategy: Use alternative keywords. For this search I used both “cultural competency” and “statement” to work backwards and discover sessions on the AEA Statement on Cultural Competence In Evaluation.
Hot Tip: Even though the conference is over, give the search tool a whirl and see if you can find out information about topics or presenters of interest. For conference attendees this will be great for those sessions you weren’t able to make it to. For those of you who were not able to attend, you can still find an abundance of resources and connections.
Hot Tip – Check the eLibrary: Find a session you want to know more about? Check for handouts from the session in the AEA Public eLibrary. Or, contact the presenters directly email for presenter(s) is included with each session description in the program search.
This week, we’re diving into issues of Cultural Competence in Evaluation with AEA’s Statement on Cultural Competence in Evaluation Dissemination Working Group. Do you have questions, concerns, kudos, or content to extend this aea365 contribution? Please add them in the comments section for this post on the aea365 webpage so that we may enrich our community of practice. Would you like to submit an aea365 Tip? Please send a note of interest to email@example.com. aea365 is sponsored by the American Evaluation Association and provides a Tip-a-Day by and for evaluators.
- Cultural Competence Week: Dominica McBride on Introducing the AEA Public Statement on Cultural Competence in Evaluation aea365 week
- CC Week: Cindy Crusto on Introduction to AEA Public Statement on Cultural Competence in Evaluation Week
- Cultural Competence Week: Melanie Hwalek on the Adoption of the AEA Public Statement on Cultural Competence in Evaluation – Moving From Policy to Practice and Practice to Policy
- Karen Anderson on Winning a SAGE Gift Certificate With Your Cultural Competence in Evaluation Resolutions for the New Year
- Scribing: Vidhya Shanker on Discussions Regarding the AEA Cultural Competence Statement